by Chef Jim Coleman
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound parsnips, thinly sliced
- 1 pound apples, peeled/cored/sliced
- 1 leek ( white and late green part only ) cleaned, cut in half lengthwise, and finely chopped
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1 large crushed garlic clove
- 2-½ to 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- ½ cup cream
- Salt and pepper
- chopped chives
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the parsnips, apples, leeks and onions.
2. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the curry powder, spices and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring well.
3. Add the stock. Cover and simmer gently for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the parsnips are quite soft.
4. Puree in a blender or food processor. Strain, and if too thick, dilute with a little stock or water. Add the cream and bring to a simmer and serve.
5. Serve garnished with chopped chives.